No – The way to move up or what determines your progression to the next levels of Community Interpreting is your voluntary or professional experience in the field of community interpreting.

Yes you can, but you must ultimately be able to demonstrate your involvement for your local community in which you wish to interpreter for. You will also be tested on your target language skills if you have bit completed high education in the country that speaks the language.

This is where you have to research your local community organisations and be prepared to offer your services as a voluntary interpreter to them. The best places to start your search would be you local councils website where you will find a list of community organisations that work or speak your language.

The level three community interpreting course is the more advance courses of the 3 community interpreting courses.  This particular course covers issues and techniques which are required by interpreters working within the community as an interpreter. Issues that will be covered are area’s such as professional practice as well as what to expect from practical interpreting in the community and how best to deliver your interpreting services to all parties involved.

e course will cover and issues and techniques that are need for an interpreter that is working with the community. This includes what to expect in an interpreting assignment and how best to deliver the services. In this course there will also be an introduction into the public services covered by this course.

There is no exam on the course but students will be expected to complete assignments for each of the 7 units. This includes a practical which will be assessed through the use of role-plays in class. These will be recorded and used as evidence for the moderator and the language assessor

The interpreting unit can be awarded at either level 3 or level 4 according to the skill demonstrated by the candidate. The overall certificate however will remain at level 3.

This certificate will open up new opportunities as most interpreting agencies accept a level 3 in community interpreting as a working qualification. This could give you chances to work with better companies at higher rates of pay.

This certificate will not cover interpreting in the legal field at all and doing this work will require you to complete the Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (DPSI) or the Metropolitan Police Language test. For further information see the website of the Chartered Institute of Linguists

Students may apply to do the course only in their first language as community translators are only encouraged to work from English into their first language. Students are advised not to submit work in more than one target language.

After the Community interpreting course we can offer you a DPSI (Diploma in Public Service Interpreting). This would be the natural next step for you to further your career as a linguist. To find out more about this course contact us today at: 0845 009 7882